Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Layout Painting

Layout Painting - Persian Street Scene
 
 
One of our final painting assignments for the first semester was to take one of our previous layout assignments and paint it, which was fun. I really like how the colours turned out in this one. See all the steps between layout and the final painting after the break.
 

 
 
This was my initial sketch, worked up from the provided thumbnail, and cleaned up.
 
 
This is the tonal study, done in marker, which establishes which values I think will work for the final.
 
 
These are some very loose colour studies, done in thumbnail, to let me play with what colours I might use. When I'd decided I'd go work with the one on the right, I worked it up a little more than the other two before going to final.
 
 
This is the finished painting, done in gouache on coldpress.
 
And finally, I digitally overlaid the initial sketch on the finished painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment